Eyes of an Addict
Family members of addicts usually know how to tell if their loved one is using. Eyes have long been considered the window to the soul and addiction is not an exception to this. A person's eyes can be one of the most obvious indicators they are using drugs.
This article will go over the way eyes look when under the influence of different substances and other signs that will accompany that type of drug abuse.
Constricted Pupils: Heroin, Oxycodone, Fentanyl and all other opiates cause what is referred to as pinpoint pupils. This is where the pupils become extremely constricted as shown in the picture to the right.
Signs of opiate abuse that will be shown along with constricted pupils are as follows.
- Wearing long sleeves, even in the summer
- Missing valuable items in the home
- Broken cigarettes with filters removed
- Bent or blackened spoons and candles
- Falling asleep while sitting, commonly called nodding
- Scars or red marks on arms, legs, hands, or feet
- Loss of weight
- Declining personal hygiene and appearance
When seen together, these signs are a clear indication your loved one is addicted. Get professional help immediately and get your loved one into a good drug treatment center.
Common signs of abuse include—
LSD and Mushrooms:
- Inability to sleep
- Vivid hallucinations
- Incoherent speech
- Elevated emotional responses
- Lack of appetite
- Irrational behavior
- Biting or sucking on lips
- Inability to sit still
- Elevated body temperature and sweating
- Excessive talking or rambling
- Increased physical sensations
- Overly emotional
- Hallucinations and delusions of grandeur
- Rapid weight loss
- Money Problems
- Fidgeting with things
- Pick marks on skin
- Aggression and Violence
- Mood Swings
- Binge Sleeping after not sleeping for several days
Cocaine and Crack Cocaine:
- Burn marks on fingers and lips
- Runny nose
- Money problems
- Weight loss
- Nose bleeds
- Aggressive behavior
- Rapid movement and speech
Each of these drugs can have serious long-term ramifications, and could land your loved one in jail or worse. If you see a combination of these different signs, call us today for help.
Red Eyes: Marijuana is really the main drug which causes this.
Signs of Marijuana use:
- Incessant eating
- Dry mouth
- Strong skunky odor of the drug
- Dropping studies or usual activities
- Misjudging time
Glossy Eyes: This is caused primarily by marijuana, alcohol and benzodiazepines such as Xanax. We just went over the signs of marijuana abuse so we will now go over signs of alcohol and benzodiazepine abuse.
- Slurred speech
- Short term memory loss
- Smell of alcohol
- Hidden bottles
- Declining personal hygiene
- Mood swings
Benzodiazepines and Xanax:
- Slurred speech
- Slowed cognitive abilities
- Lack of motor skills
- Bruises they don’t remember getting
- Irrational anger
We stand ready 24/7 to help if you realize your loved one needs drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Call us today for free referrals and professional help. For more free information or to schedule a call, fill out the form below.
Please use this form for general inquiries to Narconon.